Quotes

Naj's all-time favourite book quotes


"The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it’s the small things that count. Everyone’s so busy waiting in the Waiting Place."— Jennifer Niven

Words of wisdom

"A 22-year-old who's obsessed with books. She reads, A LOT, watch movies and tv, and oh she blogs too. Sorry for the hiccups here and there. Hope there are enough bubbles to make it up. "

Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Disenchantments by Nina Lacour // Book Review

RATING: 3.5 STARS


“In just a little while we will forget all the things we used to want and adjust to the lives that we're given.” ― Nina LaCour, The Disenchantments


I recently finished this book and it took me a week. Gosh idek why. Initially, I pick this book up so that I can cure my reading slump but nope it ain't helping at all. I guess that's why I rated it so low? It's not that low but it feels low to me. 

So anyway, let's talk about the book. 

This book is about with two best friends Colby and Bev graduating from high school. Colby had made plans on what to do after graduating high school and was crazy ecstatic because in one week, he will be touring Europe with his best friend Bev. They have planned the tour since the beginning of high school year, and he can hardly wait for them to spend a year together in amazing countries in Europe. Before the journey in Europe, both of them will spend a one-week last tour with Bev’s girl band, called The Disenchantments. But in the first day of their tour, Bev suddenly announces that she can’t go to Europe with Colby because has applied . Colby was so upset, mad and confused of the sudden announcement, but more than everything he is hurt because Bev has never told him about her plan to go to college. But the show must go on and Colby is their only hope in driving them to places of their tour. With no back-up plan or any desire to travel alone in foreign countries, Colby must find out during this one-week tour: what would he do next after The Disenchantments’ tour ends?

Well, the story was kind of so-so, nothing special about it, just a typical story of a guy and a girl, best friends since they were little, the guy falls in love blablabla. 

But the thing I like about this book is that it is told from the point of view of the guy, Colby. I love reading a guy's point of views, it's more poetic (?) at some point. It doesn't annoy me as much when I read a girl's point of view in a contemporary book. Another thing I like about this book is that it takes place at several places, as they were on a road trip. Yes, I love road trips books. It somehow makes me feel like I was going to those places with them as well, meeting new people and plus, the adventures. LOVE THEM.

I love all the side characters, especially both the sisters, Meg & Alexa which was Bev's girl band's bandmate. They were kind and loving, even to their friends, Bev & Colby. At some point I ship Alexa & Colby lol tell me I'm not the only one. I love Jasper too, he's really cool!


The one thing I hate about the book is BEV. BEVERLY. BEV. An annoying little prick she is. Poor Colby.

*SPOILER ALERT*

SHE SHOULD'VE JUST TOLD THE FUCK OUT OF HER COLLEGE PLANS TO HIM!!! Like, he has been looking forward to the trip to Europe so bad and you didnt even feel sorry for him?!?!! SO DONE. Oh, and I HATE HATE HATE the time when she like, went into Colby's room when he was upset and just fuck him like that, without even saying anything or even apologize first. YOU PLAYED HIM! YOU CANT DO THAT. HE'S INNOCENT! And guess what she did the next morning? She smoke in front of him, and said, "Is that what you want all along?" I WAS LIKE WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!

*END OF SPOILER*

One thing for sure, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ending. I love how everything is wrapped up perfectly and just everything started to make sense in the end. It gives me those bubbly feels just like every time I finish a good contemporary.

So if you're a fan of road trips, girl bands, best friends kinda love, this is the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whisper here, I won't tell