Quotes

Naj's all-time favourite book quotes


"The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it’s the small things that count. Everyone’s so busy waiting in the Waiting Place."— Jennifer Niven

Words of wisdom

"A 22-year-old who's obsessed with books. She reads, A LOT, watch movies and tv, and oh she blogs too. Sorry for the hiccups here and there. Hope there are enough bubbles to make it up. "

Monday 2 May 2016

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo // Book Review


RATING: 4.8 STARS


“No Mourners.
No Funerals.” 


Okay here I am with another review which I think  I really suck at doing. But since I want to live up to my reading resolutions I've set at the beginning of the year, so yeah let's do this.

I picked up this book because the Leigh Bardugo hype was going on at the time. My friends are all in a Grisha mood, reading the grisha trilogy so since I haven't own the whole series of the grisha trilogy I decided to settle for this book. Though a lot of people said that after reading this one, you'll never be able to read other fantasy that could live up to this standard. And apparently they were right. I've read a bunch of fantasy novels but this book. Gosh this book.

THIS BOOK WAS PERFECTION.
I LOVE IT. 
NO. I BREATHE AND LIVE IT.

So it is about six people in a crew (bcs duh six of crows) who were on a mission to find and free a prisoner(?) from the most secured prison in the world, The Ice Court, in order to get the most powerful drug called the Judas Parem which was created by the prisoner himself. This drug is believed to change the world because of the power it gives if one Grisha took it. 


What I think?

THE STORY & PLOT

The story takes off kinda slow which was one of the reason I didn't rate it a full on 5 stars. It was hard to get into at first too, because there are lots of new names and terms I have to get used to. But after the first quarter off the book, it was fast paced, already got me to my feet. I couldn't put it down because it was just full of surprises. You'll never know what's gonna happen next and that's what I really love about this book. I love how the story folds up with each of the character's back story which then makes me love each and every one of them even though they got on my nerves at times. Especially Kaz & Matthias. Such jerks. But in the end you just end up loving them. 

There was a bit of romance at some point. Every character has their own love interests. I SHIP THEM ALL SO MUCH JUST SO YOU KNOW. I also love how the story was filled with humour in between the seriousness in the mission. I laughed at times and I even tabbed those hilarious parts in the book. Oh and let me tell ya, I have more than 30 tabs in this book. Gosh, just so many good scenes I can't even.

I didn't expect the plot twist. At all. I've read some reviews saying that it was kind of expected but it wasn't for me. It literally made me gasped so loud that my roommate asked me whats going on. Lol awkward.

THE CHARACTERS

This book was written in a third person point of view of the 6 people, wait no, only 5. They didn't include Wylan's which sucks. I don't really like third person POV because I like to get confused, but this one is an exception. I don't know how but Leigh Bardugo kicked ass in writing this in a third person point of view without getting me confused. I agree with people saying that every character in this book has its own voice, its own personality that you know whose story are you in right now. It's amazing.

The leader of this crew is Kaz Brekker, also known as Dirtyhands and also described briefly as the 'thief with a gift for unlikely escapes'. He's the one with all the plans and the dirty tricks up his sleeves. Somehow he's never out of them. He's a genius, always know what to do, full of surprises. He's the kind of person you wanna hate but you can't.

There's Inej, the Wraith aka the spy or ninja of the crew. She never got caught, her ninja skills are phenomenal. Always gets away with murder. Pretty badass. I'd like to be her.

Nina, the sweetest Heartrender. Her skill is to control other people's pulse and heart rate. COOL RIGHT? I want her powers so so bad! The kind of girlfriend you would want to have as a gossip partner.

Then comes Matthias, a runaway from prison, Hellgate. Strong, bold and a jerk. But caring at the same time. I SHIP HIM WITH HIS LOVE  INTEREST SO SO BAD.

And then there's Jesper, the joker of the group I would call him. I love his sense of humor, always gets me laughing. He's the kind of guy I would want to hangout with.

Wylan, the cutest little creature ever. That about sums it up. Hah

What I love about these characters are the relationship between them. Not just the romance between them with their love interests but also their friendship that they developed along the way. Like the bromance between the guys. Just read this:

“Jesper knocking his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. "Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I'm going to get Wylan's ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost."

Brekker's lips quirked. "I'll just hire Matthias' ghost to kick your ghost's ass."

"My ghost won't associate with your ghost," Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.” 


 The friendship of Nina & Inej too. And just all of them together working as a team. It's just amazing.


There's so much more about the book I could've said but I thought this will do or else it'll be a really long review. I know not a lot of people will read it anyway so yeah. If you like fantasy, this would be a perfect book for you. If you don't, just please please please just go pick it up anyway. Or else we're not friends. HAH. Come on, please? For me. Pretty please? And then do come to me and we can fangirl!


-naj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whisper here, I won't tell